Safety/Roadworthy Certificates

BRN Mechanical is authorised to carry out Queensland vehicle safety inspections and issue safety certificates (formerly known as roadworthys).

A safety certificate covers basic things that could affect the safe operation of a vehicle including: 

-Body rust or damage

The safety certificate is designed to offer buyers better protection and to ensure vehicles being registered are safe.

What vehicles require a safety certificate?

In Queensland you must obtain and display a safety certificate on any registered light vehicle from the moment you offer the vehicle for sale. It is also a requirement for unregistered second-hand and registered interstate vehicles to obtain a safety certificate as part of the Queensland pre-registration process (unless exempt). Vehicles include cars, motorbikes, trailers (including caravans) with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) of 0.751–3.50 tonnes (t) and any other vehicles up to 4.50 t gross vehicle mass (GVM).

How long are safety certificates current for?

Make sure certificates are current.

For dealers, certificates are valid for three months or 1000 kilometres (whichever comes first) from the date of issue.

For private sellers, safety certificates may be used for one transfer of registration provided they are within the two months or 2000 kilometres limit, whichever comes first. A new safety certificate is required each time you sell the vehicle even if it is within the two months or 2000 kilometres. A single safety certificate cannot be used for two transfers.

For new registration, safety certificates are valid from the date of issue for two months or 2000 kilometres limit, whichever comes first. It may be used for one transfer only if still current after new registration.

Displaying safety certificates

Safety certificates must be displayed in a very obvious place, for example:

Motorbike – front forks or guard
Cars /Trucks– windscreen or window
Trailers/Caravan – draw-bar.

NOTE: If you fail to display a safety certificate on the vehicle from the moment you offer it for sale you may receive an on-the-spot fine of A$500.

Unregistered Vehicles

We are required to test drive your unregistered vehicle as a part of the safety certificate inspection.

For this to be done, you the owner, must have a completed department of transport's application form to register the vehicle.

The vehicle is also required to be insured under the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994.A current insurance certificate must have been issued for the vehicle and the registration.

Call us now if you need more information or wish to book a safety inspection.

Legislation and rules can change from time to time without notice, visit: 


  1. This is the appropriate weblog for anybody who wants to discover this topic. You understand a great deal its nearly tough to argue with you (not too I actually would want…HaHa). You certainly put the latest spin using a topic thats been discussing for several years. Great stuff, just wonderful! bizsafe level 2 singapore